Thursday, June 29, 2006

Sunday Suppers at Lucques, Soft Shell Crab



Here is one of the first summer recipes I have cooked from the best cookbook ever, Sunday Suppers at Lucques, by Suzanne Goin. It is soft shell crab with fava beans, bacon and grilled cornbread, topped with a dollop of mustard cream. The recipe called for pan frying the crab, coated with some Wondra flour, but I deciced breaded is better, so I coated the crab in a beer batter from Border Grill. The recipe also called for lima beans, but I used favas instead. The bacon and mustard made the dish. They both enhanced the crab and favas, pulling all the flavors together. Nice, salty, smoked bacon can't hurt anything. I was dissapointed in the cornbread recipe. It was a little different than most, calling for brown butter, which as a rule of thumb, makes anything better, but it didn't seem to make a difference with this bread. It needed to cook longer than the recipe indicated, and the end result was pretty flovorless, and certianly not sweet enough. Next time I will skip the bread, and add another slice of bacon.

No comments: