Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Sensitive Baker



I checked out a brand new bakery in Culver City today called The Sensitive Baker. The word Sensitive refers to gluten allergies. All baked pastries are gluten, dairy and wheat free. I think this shop will be a heaven for those whose bodies cannot tolerate gluten. The selection was sparse, but she had many items on the cooling rack ready to go on display. I bought 2 cupcakes, chocolate and coconut. The chocolate was good (considering there is no wheat flour in it – apparently some of the flour substitutes they use include rice flour and tapioca flour). The cake was dense, and only slightly sweet. The coconut was the better of the two. The vanilla cake was much lighter, with a less dense crumb and the frosting was just sweet enough. I also sampled a piece of bread, which had the appearance, flavor and texture very similar to brioche. It was quite enjoyable – I can only imagine how wonderful it would taste to one who has had to omit wheat flour from their diet. The pastries I sampled reminded me of pastries from Mani’s (sugar-free) Bakery; you know there is something different about them, but you enjoy them anyway. If you do not have any wheat sensitivities, I encourage you to try this bakery just for the adventure of trying something new.



The Sensitive Baker
10836 1/2 Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232
310-815-1800

2 comments:

foodette said...

That's a great idea - I will definitely share this post with a friend of mine who has a wheat allergy.

judy tamarkin said...

sandee-call me immediately- i might have a buyer (310)498-8230
Judy Tamarkin j_tamarkin@yahoo.com