Thursday, March 08, 2007

Joe's - The Greatest Lunch Deal in Town


Joe’s on Abbot Kinney has always had the greatest lunch deal in the Fine Dining World. Entrees run $12-16, and they include either a soup or salad. His soups are incredible. Always vegan, and always a fine, silky puree. This one is butternut squash. All I really need for lunch is a slightly bigger bowl of soup, and a couple slices their dill bread with sweet butter and tapenade.

I had the porcini-dusted salmon, with a porcini puree and pancetta gnocchi. The gnocchi were little fluffy pillows with a piece of pancetta inside, and the porcini puree was creamy with an acute porcini flavor. My only gripe was that the salmon came cooked on the rare side of medium rare, and just to raw for my taste. I should have specified.

My notoriously finicky friend (but I am working on that - to great success, by the way) had the steak, which she said was incredible. Also cooked on the rare side of medium, but she enjoyed it anyway.

For $17 they offer a prix fixe lunch, consisting of three courses, and a $5 wine selection. What a deal. Swift, friendly service, elegant yet casual atmosphere, I always look forward to my next visit.

Joe's
1023 Abbot Kinney Blvd.
Venice, CA 90291
310-399-5811

4 comments:

Erin S. said...

man, I've gotta take a loooong lunch sometime soon and check this out. Thanks for the tip.

Jenn said...

I went for Joe's infamous brunch a couple of weeks ago. I loved the cranberry champagne cocktail they served (who'd have thought that was a good combo?!?), and the food was excellent. My only complaint was that there was way too much food for brunch. You get the bread basket with fresh strawberry jam, which is so delicious that you have to dig in. Then you get a starter (granola, salad, one other choice) and then you get a full on breakfast/brunch entree (I had the pancakes, eggs, and bacon, and my husband had the crab hash). Everything was tasty, but my wallet and my stomach were both stretched to the limit after this meal. Sounds like their lunch deal is a much better choice.

Anonymous said...

I agree, this is a great place for lunch. We often go their from UCLA for a celebration lunch for our staff. Menu changes depending on what's in season, but one of my favorites is their sole with scallops. And the set-lunch is a great value and always delish!

Anonymous said...

I agree, this is a great place for lunch. We often go their from UCLA for a celebration lunch for our staff. Menu changes depending on what's in season, but one of my favorites is their sole with scallops. And the set-lunch is a great value and always delish!