Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Vincenti Ristorante



I had a nice lunch at Vincenti (not to be confused with its street name, San Vicente) in Brentwood a few weeks back. They are only open for lunch on Fridays, and since we had a large group, we were able to arrange a 3 course prix fixe menu and sat in the private room up front near the (very sleek) bar.


They started us off with a nice bread a cracker selection, served with carrot puree, rather than olive oil or butter. A nice change of pace. Then they brought out an nice little eggplant amuse bouche. Just enough to whet our appetites.

For my first course I choose a simple burrata and prosciutto salad. Although I love this flavor combination, I usually avoid it at restaurants because it is so easy to duplicate at home, but I was glad I ordered it. This would have been enough food right here.

Then came my entree of butternut squash ravioli with asparagus, in the most delicate, thin layer of sauce. The pasta was tender, the filling on the sweet side, and the asparagus cooked perfectly al dente.

Steak with truffles was one of the other choices, and a disappointing one. The shaved truffles looked fantastic, but they were absolutely flavorless. A drizzle of truffle oil would have solved the problem.

For dessert, they gave us a sampler plate, including a rich, dense chocolate cake, cannoli, and pistachio ice cream. All were lovely.

Their regular dinner menu is expensive, appetizers in the teens, and entrees in the 20's and 30's. I think if I return it would be for drinks and appetizers at the bar. I have had cocktials once before at the bar, and the scene was casual and lively.

Vincenti Ristorante
11930 San Vicente Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90049
310-207-0127

5 comments:

AK said...

Ah, everything looks so decadent. Especially the the butternut squash ravoli-the asparagus looks fantastic.

I agree with you about shaved truffles sometimes. Truffle oil is fantastic and underated.

Maurice said...

where's the rustic canyon review? This was supposed to be it.
Love your work. Thanks

triplecreme said...

Doh! I will fix it. Thanks.

Muse7360 said...

Vincenti is by far the best Italian restaurant in Los Angeles. I have had the Prosciutto and Burrata salad at Vincenti and it isn't as simple as it sounds. The Prosciutto isn't like any that you will find here in the markets. It is aged 50 percent longer than usual and the Burrata is very fresh. As for the Truffles, I have to disagree with you. Chef Nicola is very good at using special ingredients in a way that they don't over power anything else.

giuseppem said...

You should try Angelini Osteria in Los Angeles (at the corner of Beverly Blvd and Pointsettia).
The chef, Gino Angelini, is actually the mentor of the chef at Vincenti, Nicola Mastronardi.

Gino Angelini also owns a restaurant on 3rd St. in Los Angeles called La Terza at the Orlando Hotel. The name has recently changed to Il Minestraio.