Sunday, August 06, 2006

My Little Cupcake in Studio City



Yes, another cupcake bakery. Of course I couldn't resist. My Little Cupcake's cupcakes are far more ambitious then others I have tried lateley. They have the usual chocolate, vanilla, red velvet (all with artfully piped frosting), plus some interesting tricked out ones, such as the High Hat.


A Mallowmar of sorts, the High Hat is chocolate cake with marshmallow icing dipped in chocolate. So sweet and decadant, I am afraid it might be too much of a good thing. Same with the peanut butter cupcake. Chocolate cake with a layer of peanut butter under the cut top, then frosted with peanut butter icing, then finally topped with a piece of Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

These are for the hard-core sweet tooth. After one bite of each, my stomach begged me to stop, a sugar headache kicked in and I crashed before I even got the sugar rush.

I did enjoy the lemon merengue cupcake. A dense, lemon cake with a dollop of lemon curd underneath a beehive of merengue, toasted by the plummer's torch. Much better than the pie, and not too sweet. Overall, I was dissapointed in the cakes. I prefer a nice soft, fluffy cake, and these were very dense, and just the tinest bit dry. The red velvet's cream cheese frosting was lovely, as was the vanilla, but the chocolate was unremarkable.

I think the joy of a cupcake is it's simplicity, a sweet little cake, just enough to satisfy. My Little Cupcake's are certainly beautiful, but just a little over the top. Maybe with all the cupcake competion around, they may feel the need to stand out and do something different. I think they are trying too hard; a cupcake should not be so complicated. Maybe I have had too many cupcakes lately, if possible.


My Little Cupcake
11925 Ventura Blvd.
Studio City
818-985-2253
Cupcakes $2.75 each, $30.00 a dozen

15 comments:

Senorita W said...

You're right--they are really pretty, but way too dense and rich.

Anonymous said...

They are nearly as sweet as Yummy Cupcakes in Burbank, which is too sweet for most adult palates. The High Hat cake was overbaked, dry as dust the day we tried it, but the regular Chocolate was moist and the best of the bunch.

Anonymous said...

Worth trying if you're in the area. Had the lemon meringue, which today was topped with marshmallow creme instead of meringue...way too sweet for me, and that's saying a lot!

Anonymous said...

I hope they are nice as the ones from the original My Little Cupcake store in Sydney Australia!!
My Little Cupcake - Sydney has been trading for nearly 2 years!!!

Pamela Moore said...

I got the High Hat from a local coffee shop that just started carrying them. Incredible! They must've been fresh - it was moist and tasty.

Anonymous said...

I had the red velvet and the concord grape cupcakes. They were fantastic (especially the frostings)! They are a bit on the drier side, but that is preferable to places that make oily/greasy cupcakes. The best cupcake I've ever had was from a shop in London and so far, My Little Cupcake comes closest in CA.

Anonymous said...

I just returned from Studio City, where I visited My Little Cupcake. THEY WERE AMAZING!!! They were not too sweet or dense, they were JUST RIGHT. I am going to pester the owners to start shipping overnight, so I and all my friends can enjoy in Las Vegas.

Anonymous said...

The cupcakes are better than most than I have tried around town. I did find that the chocolate cupcakes were spongier than the super dense vanilla cupcakes.

Anonymous said...

I tried cupcakes from them twice -- the first time they were very dry and the second time they were moist. So I guess it is hit or miss.

I would love to try their carrot cake cupcake, but it has orange frosting instead of cream cheese, which doesn't sound right to me!

Personally. I really enjoyed that the cake was dense. I will be going back!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the Red Velvet ones are great but super-rich...the coffee ones are just...OMG too much. LOL nice design though.

XOXOX Christine

Anonymous said...

TERRIBLE! I bougth them yesterday for my boyfriend's birthday. Thought I'd spend a little extra and get some unique cupcakes. They were so dry they tasted old. It was so disappointing that I won't go back for a second try or recommend to anyone. Bummer...I'd think professionals would know how to not "over" bake a cupcake.

TaraMetBlog said...

You should join our LA cupcakes meetup group http://dessert.meetup.com/5/

Anonymous said...

Try Sprinkles cupcakes or suzie cakes there to die for!

Anonymous said...

As interesting as their creations were, their cupcakes seemed rather dry along with the person at the counter. I liked the marshmallow cupcake but over all I feel Yummy Cupcakes in Burbank tasted more fresh and recommend that over this place.

Unknown said...

Have you all heard about a new place they're opening in Santa Monica named xooro?