Sunday, January 28, 2007

X'otik Kitchen



X'otik Kitchen is a cute little take-out cafe on newly gentrified Washington Blvd., near La Cienega in Culver City, sharing the neighborhood with uber-cool art galleries and architectural offices. The spelling of X'otik isn't the only exotic thing about this place. Their menu of chicken, fish and meat dishes is peppered with ingredients like kafir lime, tumeric, coconut, coriander and kecap manis (whatever that is!). They offer a few of different free-range half chicken dishes, all available with a choice of sides and pita bread. I had the Sumatran Coconut Chicken made with tumeric, garlic, kafir lime and coconut (a pleasantly mild combination), with Indonesian rice, and garlic sauteed mixed vegetables, for $9.95. The chicken was moist, the vegetables al dente, and the rice fluffly. I thought the portions were perfect. The chicken was on the smaller side, which was just right for me, and not too much rice. Do not expect to see steroided-pumped-up chicken like at Versailles. X'otik Kitchen's emphasis is on organic, fesh and natural ingredients. They also offer salads ($7.25-8.95), fish of the day, lemongrass shrimp, Nebraskan skirt steak, and a couple of (out of place on this menu) pastas like ravioli ($8.95) and penne with grilled vegetables ($8.45). They have a couple of tables outside, and a tiny counter inside. Expect to take your order to-go.


X'otik Kitchen
6121 Washington Blvd.
Culver City, Ca 90232
310-280-3961

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bree - have you visited this place?

http://www.le-sanctuaire.com/

It would be fun to see a story on this!

Millie said...

Looks yummy ...let me know when you want to go again.

Anonymous said...

Hey there,nice review again.
Jus dropd by coz i saw the 'kicap-manis' word over there. if its what i think it is, kicap actually made of soy sauce.in this case its the light soy sauce.
'manis' means sweet in Malay or Indonesian language.Its very famous here in Malaysia, used in almost all fried stuff or marination.they have sweet, salty and thick soy sauce. Nice blog by the way.

Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

I keep forgetting that I should NOT under any circumstances visit your blog when I see in my feeds that you have a new post, UNLESS I have a full stomach. !! I'm hungry now!

tony libido said...

Hey, wondering if you know. . . One of my favorite lunch options was Tampopo, a japanese noodle joint within the Mitsuwa store at Centinaela and Venice. But since remodelling, Tampopo is gone and has been replaced by something with a similar menu but none of the same home cooked vibe. One of the cashier ladies thinks the old proprietor has re-opened elsewhere. I'd love to know where. . . On a related note; any idea where to get a decent nabeyaki udon on the westside? I'm craving it. . . THX

triplecreme said...

Vera - yes I have been there, and it is obscenely expensive!!

Julie - Thanks for the info!

Shelly - your blog is a big tease too!

Brian - As a child of Mar Vista, I am ashamed I do not have any reccomendations for you. I love Japanese food, but I have not been to enough places to give you any kind of Zagat-like info. Sorry.

Zazoo Pitts said...

Bree, thanks for bringing this up. Always looking for new stuff in the Culver City.

Check out Bagete. It just opened where Cubby's used to be. Washington & Hughes. No sign other than a tiny one the put out on the sidewalk.

Fancy sandwiches & salads. Just like to hear your opinion about it.

Anonymous said...

Howdy Folks, If you like X'otik, you gotta check out the more authentic, little jamaican grill not too far away. Jerk chicken, oxtail, curry lamb, coconut rice, fried plantains, home made beverages. wow. Wow, it's the best kept secret in the area, right off la cienega on manchester. I have only worked my way through a fraction of their menu, but its all very very good.

Front Page Grille
1117 w. manchester bl #C
Inglewood, CA 90301

just spreading the gospel o' goodness. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I've been frequenting Bagete every second day since my first visit. The all natural gourmet offering is excellent and well priced -- not to mention the proprietor, who is clearly an inventive and passionate chef. A real gem.

I highly recommend.